Thursday, November 25, 2010

Sometimes, I Cook.




In an effort to diversify our blog posting from being mostly about video, photography, or any of that nerdy stuff, I thought I should take the time to share with you my other passion; cooking. A long time ago, I realized that I had a knack for accomplishing any task in the kitchen. I never had any formal training, but I did read a lot of books, and watch a lot of "Good Eats" with Alton Brown. So for Thanksgiving, I decided to share with you my most coveted recipe. Pumpkin Cheese Cake.

Start with the crust. I mashed a bunch of pecans and vanilla wafers into a 8 inch pie pan, and melted in 1 stick of non-salted butter. Then layered the mixture along the sides of the pan.


I then started on the mixture. I'm doing this all from memory and have no exact recipe for it, but it was, 2 packs of cream cheese, 1/2 cup of brown sugar. 3 eggs. (1 at a time) 1/4 cup of cream, 1/4 cup of flour, tsp of salt and cinnamon, a dash of vanilla (Madagascar vanilla is preferred), and lastly about half a can of pumpkin puree. I had a bit left over when I poured it into the crust, so if your good at math, I'm guessing you can figure out a less wasteful method. I just ended up making 2 more cakes.





The hard part is done. Now just pour into the crust, leaving some room for it to rise and bake on 350degrees for an hour, or until they look like this:








While they're cooling, you can prepare the topping. I just made a simple sweetened whip cream but spiked it with Rum. I then topped it off with a chocolate drizzle, which is just chocolate chips melted into cream with a bit of butter.


They ended up looking like this:


Hope you enjoyed... and have a Happy Thanksgiving!

-Mike
Third Reel Productions

No comments:

Post a Comment